We have shared how volunteering is great for your health and for your career. Even with all this information about how being a volunteer can benefit us personally, we may still be hesitating. Are you thinking, “Ok, I’m sold… but where do I start?’ Well, you’re in luck. The United Way Worldwide is asking you to take a pledge and we are going to help get you kick started with some tips on what to do and what not to do when getting started volunteering as a mentor.
What to Do:
1. Practice Active Listening
2. Try not to use the word “Should” with yourself or your mentee.
3. Show up – Be on time and stay committed.
4. Have your own mentors – push your own growing edge.
5. Celebrate – During every interaction make sure there is at least one step of progress that is celebrated.
What Not to Do:
1. Poor communication
3. Do the work for the mentee/Set the mentee’s goals
4. Criticize mistakes
5. Tell the mentee what to do/Give frequent advice.